Today, after I posted my blog I got thinking of Icy Strait Point, wondering if it's on an island....so I asked Siri. You'd think I would have thought of doing that before we left for the cruise...but I didn't!! I have a tendency to do things backwards sometimes. Anyway...I did find out some interesting info.
-Icy Strait Point is a privately owned tourist destination just outside the small village of Hoonah, Alaska.
-it is located on Chichagof Island and owned by Huna Totem Corporation which is owned by approximately 1,350 Alaskan Natives with aboriginal ties to Hoonah and the Glacier Bay area. Many of them are of the Tlingit people.
-it's the only privately owned cruise destination in Alaska.
-we were told it opened in 2003 but the computer said it opened in 2004
-in 2016 the 400 foot floating dock replaced the tendering
-all shops located there are owned by Alaskans (That is so refreshing to hear after seeing so many of the shops in other ports owned and operated by Americans [and others] who only come to Alaska during cruise ship season to open their shops!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment