Monday, January 26, 2015

Robbie Burns Night

We met 3 friends at the local restaurant for "Burns Night".  The haggis was escorted into the restaurant by a piper and the poem "Address To A Haggis" was read.  We toasted the haggis with a "wee dram of scotch" and ate our Cock-a-Leekie Soup (sorry I didn't get a picture of the chicken soup with leeks, but it was tasty).  We had a choice of Haggis Stuffed Chicken Breast topped with scotch whiskey gravy, neeps and tatties (potatoes and turnip cooked together and mashed) and veggies, or a Haggis and Roast Beast (beef) Dinner served with scotch whiskey gravy, neeps and tatties and vegetables.  The beef was very thinly sliced and heaped up to kind of look like a flower...sorry I started to eat before I thought of taking the picture!  For dessert we had Rum Raisin Bread Pudding served with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. 

While we were eating there was a group playing and singing.  We had so much fun and the food was so good we're talking about going again next year...we even liked the haggis...it was different,..the texture was kind of like liverwurst, but quite tasty...of course I think the scotch gravy might have had something to do with that!! The haggis is the little meatball looking thing in the front center of the plate and the beef looked prettier before I started to take it apart to eat it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment