Sunday, June 12, 2016

Mystery Island, Vanuatu

I looked out and thought this looked like the typical small deserted island you read about people being marooned on....then I noticed that our tender was going to this island!!!





On board the ship they warned us not to partake in the Kava Ceremony because purity and safeness of the drink did not meet the ship's standards.  Apparently Kava is a non-alcoholic drink that gives you a "high"....no....we didn't try it!!!!
 The island has no electricity, running water or inhabitants.  People come from the surrounding islands to sell their wares at the market.

 This little girl was so intrigued with this palm branch.  Days later onboard ship they were running a photo contest and I entered this picture.  It didn't win but I did end up with a lovely 8x10 of it.


Mystery Island's claim to fame is the grass runway they have which was used during World War II as a refuelling depot.  Not sure if it's still used or not...they do keep it mowed down somewhat and there are wind socks there.


 The Noordam  at anchor.  The folks were waiting for their ride back to the island where they lived.  When they all got into the little boats with all their stuff, there sure wasn't much freeboard left.  I said a quick prayer that they'd make it home without capsizing and drowning!!!
 Tonight...another towel animal.

1 comment: